How many certified divers took their first scuba diving steps through a PADI Discover Scuba Diver? Anybody wonders why this first experience changed their lives?
Most divers I talked to explained their DSD was a great experience. Thanks to the dive centre and dive instructor, passing their passion for diving, a new diver was born. The correct environment, information sharing, atmosphere and good preparation turned the Discover Scuba Diver in a unique and once-in-a-lifetime experience for most of them.
Both my wife and I started in the same way years ago. Thanks to the great time we became so passionate about diving that we completely changed our lifestyle. From the discovery, we went through recreational diving to become so passionate about diving, to decide to swap our traditional jobs for a life in the diving industry. Even after we took this big step, we still remember our DSD years ago.
How to turn each Discover Scuba Diver (DSD) into an “I-love-scuba-diving” experience:
- Organise each DSD as if it was a first date: Understand the DSD candidate does not know what to expect!
- Be prepared: Follow a fixed DSD circuit and routine, but leave room for a personal touch.
- Adapt to your customer: Accept people are unique, give them room to absorb scuba diving at their own pace.
- Be passionate: share your passion for scuba diving with your guests before, during and after the dive.
- Take your time: Remember the experience does not stop getting out of a wetsuit.
- Help them remember: a picture says more than a thousand words, help them organise some pictures or a video as a permanent souvenir.
I fully agree there are a thousand more points to be added, but these six definitely help making a DSD something unique!